Powerful, maneuverable and adaptable to a range of industrial uses, the DJI Matrice 210 quadcopter is an economical solution for enterprise users seeking to add a drone to their available tools.
The Matrice 210 has proven itself useful for firefighting, law enforcement, security, precision agriculture, engineering, infrastructure inspection, construction site mapping, and utilities inspections.
It boasts IP43 resistance to solid objects and moisture and is sized to remain stable in crosswinds. Its foldable body, plus removable batteries, propellers and landing gear, mean that it stores and transports easily.
The Matrice 210 is a flying platform that comes without a camera, other than a First Person View camera or navigating. That lets you choose a camera that best suits your needs, including thermal-imaging cameras and cameras for recording high-definition video and high-resolution stills. The Matrice 210 can mount and shoot with two cameras side-by-side. A single upward-facing camera, ideal for inspections of bridges and other infrastructure, also can be mounted.
Every Matrice 210 includes:
- Foldable body, removable landing gear
- Foul-weather resistance
- DJIGo flight program
- Precise GPS positioning
- Subject tracking
- Built-in FPV camera
- 51.4 mph maximum speed
- 4.3-mile range (extendable)
- 20-27 minutes maximum flight with varying payloads
- Remote controller compatible with smartphones/tablets
- 16GB microSD card; compatible with card up to 128GB
- One top-, two bottom-located gimbal mounts
- Automatic/manual camera control
- Compatibility with range of thermal-imaging and video/still cameras
- Capability for simultaneously mounting thermal, hi-def video cameras
- Adaptable to dual controls
Matrice 210: Powerful Quacopter
The Matrice 210 is strong enough to lift two cameras simultaneously. It can carry and operate side-by-side thermal-imaging and video/still cameras. It can fly at a maximum speed of 51.4 mph. The Matrice can ascend at more than 11 mph and descend at nearly 7 mph. Because the Matrice’s arms unfold to nearly 35 inches, and its propellers measure 17 inches, it is stable in crosswinds up to 22 mph. It can operate at up to 8,200 feet above sea level.
Resistance to Foul Weather, Solid Objects
The Matrice 210 is engineered to IP43 standards. That means it can resist solid objects in excess of 1mm in diameter and water sprayed from all directions, even at a 60-degree angle. With its hard shell body, the Matrice is usable in light rain. If used over sandy and dusty environments, it should be checked for and cleaned of foreign debris after use. The Matrice 200 series can be flown in temperatures as low as -4F.
The Matrice 210 remote controller’s signals extend 4.3 miles. An available FPVLR range extender can increase that up to 3x. Drone Nerds recommends professional installation by its trained technicians unless you have experience installing antenna hardware and firmware. Drone Nerds installation is fast and economical, involving the shipment of the remote controller only.
DJI Go 4 App
The DJI Go 4 flight control app is available for downloading to a smartphone or tablet. It is compatible with any operating system from iOS 9.0 or later, and Android 4.4.0 or later. The program offers Flight Autonomy and obstacle avoidance.
The included remote controller sends and receives signals up to 4.3 miles. The controller connects to a smartphone or tablet, which displays drone movement as seen through the built-in FPV camera, which always points forward. It allows toggling from FPV to camera views. The optional 7.85-inch CrystalSky monitor aids daytime viewing, with a display that’s more than four time brighter than most tablets.
Dual Controllers Available
Optional is the use of dual remote controllers in a master-slave arrangement. The pilot controls the drone on the master, and the camera operator controls camera movement and video/still recording on the slave. This allows for more detailed data collection during inspections. Additional remote controllers are available from Drone Nerds.
Intelligent Flight Batteries
Matrice runs on twin batteries. TB50 batteries, at 4280 mAh, are standard. For longer flight time, there are optional TB55 batteries, at 7760mAh. Matrice 200 series batteries must be charged to within 13 percent of each other or takeoff is blocked. If one battery fails during flight, the pilot receives a warning and should land the drone. The batteries are self-heated, allowing flight in freezing temperatures. Insulation stickers are included.
The Matrice has an array of sensors that promote precise hovering without incident. In addition to overhead infrared sensors for obstacle avoidance, Matrice 200 drones have downward and forward visioning sensors. The sensors add extra protection against striking obstacles during inspections.
Onboard, Mobile SDK
Every Matrice 200 drone has an onboard software development kit. This allows development of industry-specific programs. Compatible platforms are Windows, Linux, Embedded Systems STM 32 and ROS. Mobile SDK allows development of mobile apps for Matrice 200 drones.
The Matrice 200 series has multifunction I/O ports for precision analog-to-digital conversion, pulse-width modulation and digital I/O functionality.
Compatible High-Performance Cameras
Available are a range of professional-level Matrice-compatible cameras:
- XT — With thermal imaging by FLIR, the Zenmuse XT camera reveals heat sources, including at night. Available in four fixed-lens options. Imaging at 640/30fps or 336/30fps, depending on model. Best uses: Electrical tower inspections, solar panel inspections, search and rescue, firefighting, precision agriculture.
- Z30 — How close a view do you want, and from how far away? The Zenmuse Z30 a fixed lens that zooms up to 30x, with 6x distortion-free digital zoom, for a maximum 180x magnification. Best uses: Cell tower inspection, wind turbine inspection, firefighting.
- X4S — Detailed images are captured by a huge 1-inch sensor on the Zenmuse X4S. Its leaf shutter eliminates rolling distortion to capture fast action with a 24mm-equivalent lens. The X4S records 4K video at 6 fps in H.265 for superior slow motion, or 4K at 30 fps in h.264. Transfer rate is 100mbps. Stills are 20MP shot in bursts up to 14fps. It has fast autofocus. Best uses: High-quality aerial video and stills, including mapmaking.
- X5S — With a range of interchangeable lenses and two zoom lenses, the Zenmuse X5S allows you to select the focal lengths that are ideal for your needs. Video is recorded in 5.2K or 4K. Stills are recorded in 20.89MP and shot in bursts up to 20fps. Aperture and shutter control is automatic or manual. Best uses: High-quality aerial video and still photography, including mapmaking.